Friday, February 07, 2014

6 bad exercises

Back behind the bar today at the YMCA where I witnessed a lot of silly exercises.

Among the 6 bad ideas I witnessed were:
- Rounded Back Deadlifts
- Broomstick twists while wobbling on a Bosu ball
- Bench dips (terrible for the shoulder)
- Slow cardio (of course!)
- Upright rows standing on a Bosu ball (what is it with these things?)
- Incline Bench Press with the bar lowered to touch his chin. His chin!!!

Crazy.

Most dangerous is the rounded back move or the incline to chin (he must not like his teeth), but the ugliest was the broomstick twists. So sad to watch a grown man do that.

My workout:

Old-Man Warm-up (extra long because I shoveled a lot of snow this morning and felt tight)

1A) Deadlift (5-3-1)
1B) Military Press (5-3-1)

2A) Deadlifts (4x10)
2B) Cable Lateral Raise (4x10) <= subbed in for presses b/c shoulder was tight

3) Shrug Pyramid Set with little rest (40-50 reps)

Good times. I love the basic Deadlift + Press superset.

After training I immediately have a shake, All you need for fat loss is 20 grams of protein. That's it. I use www.BioTrust.com (whey protein) or Paleo Protein powder (non-whey). Those two are great. If you want to gain muscle, eat a regular meal right after your shake. It's simple. Don't get fooled by complex advice.

For short, burst workouts 3-4 times per week for fat loss, you don't need to force carbohydrates into your diet (i.e. sugary post-workout or during workout drinks).

If you want to build muscle, you might want to add more calories to your drinks, but there is nothing magical...it's all about total calories for the day and week.

FB Qna: Hi Craig. Id like to improve really my conditioning by summer. I take kung fu classes 3-4 times a week and sometimes also ride stationary bike for around 30 mins almost every day. Id like to start doing some thing like t25 or tutbulence training. How should I go about integrating it, should I alternate days doing that and kung fu or isIit more beneficial to do several consecutive days, or do it nearly every day and continue my kung fu schedule as normal. Also whats the most I should work out in a single week? Thanks so much!!

Answer from ol' CB:

Stop the stationary bike. It's useless.
Use my
www.HomeWorkoutRevolution.com program 4x's per week after Kung Fu Training. Have 3 days per week where all you do is stretching/mobility and walking or light biking.


Check this success story posted on FB:
  • Angie Mitchell been running forever and recently came across your workouts. Added them to my routine and have seen more results in the last 3 weeks than in months. Just wanted to say thanks!!!!

Today's Kickbutt Mindset Tip:

“Cherish time, your most valuable resource. You can never make up the time you lose. The most important choices you’ll ever make are how you use your time.” – Dave Kekich

Time to go out for more snow with Bally,

Craig Ballantyne, CTT
Certified Turbulence Trainer

PS - People are still skeptical about TT.

That's why we have the Transformation Contests. Reminded me I need to share this more, here's a video of our first transformation winners! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcPGWfNLrW4

--
Craig Ballantyne, CTT
Certified Turbulence Trainer
www.TurbulenceTrainingFanpage.com

No comments: