Tuesday, February 01, 2011

What I Would Do If I Was Overweight

Listen, I'm far from perfect. (Not that I need to tell you that.)

And when I see an out-of-shape guy my age, struggling with his weight,I often think, "There but for the grace of God go I", .

After all, who knows what caused him to gain belly fat?

Maybe he was once active, even skinny, like most guys in college, and then work/life/family got in the way of calorie-burning and out of the way of calorie eating, and then one day...

BAM!

He wakes up and notices he's 30 pounds heavier.

That could have been me, if it weren't for a life-changing event that led to my passionate interest in exercise science and fat loss.

(I'll tell you about that event some day soon.)

And so with that in mind - the fact that I could just as easily be wearing size 38 pants - I wanted to spend this week looking at what I would do if I was 30 pounds overweight, but armed with the knowledge that I have now.

Today is Part 1 of 3, BUT the topic is NOT what you'd expect.

You see, the first thing I'd do before I changed my diet or hit the gym, is I'd find myself a COMMUNITY of supportive folks.

I'd join a group of like-minded people who share the same goal, who support one another, and who meet (in person or online) frequently and consistently.

I'd get SOCIAL SUPPORT - and lots of it, not just from 1 or 2 people.

I would join website after website, exploring each group for the one that was a best fit for me.

Because without social suppport, I'd have a hard time sticking to my diet and workout program, despite all of my scientific knowledge.

Social support is THAT powerful.

In fact, I've searched out social support over and over again in every aspect of my real life.

When I wanted to improve my training skills, I joined organizations and online forums dedicated to the latest workout science.

When I wanted to improve my business, I joined small groups of business owners called "Masterminds".

And when I wanted to build my team here at Turbulence Training, I joined groups dedicated to showing new business owners how to incorporate a Mission and Core Values into team building.

I've even recently joined an online membership site dedicated to getting more rewards with air mile programs!

And each time I join a group, I achieve faster results than if Itried to do ANY of these things on my own.

Listen...

It's been scientifically proven OVER and OVER again in every industry, and no matter what you're goal, that working with a supportive team will give you better and faster results than doing it on your own.

Even individual athletes - like cyclists and marathon runners - have support teams that are essential to success.

So I highly recommend that you join a Transformation Community today.
 
Sincerely,

Craig Ballantyne, CSCS, MS
Author, Turbulence Training

No comments: