Friday, April 02, 2010

3-Minute Men's Health Pushup Challenge from Martin Rooney

This weekend I want you to take the 3-minute Men's Health pushup challenge designed by Martin Rooney.

You can find all the details on page 46 of the April 2010 issue of Men's Health, or you can find the details and enter your score to win 3 months free at Turbulence Training here:

=> 3 Minute Pushup Rules & Contest

Martin Rooney is one of the most experienced strength and conditioning coaches in the world, and I've interviewed him a couple of times.

In one interview we talked about the importance of an athlete having a high strength to bodyweight ratio. Here's how Martin explained the importance:

"Re: strength to bodyweight…Think of it like this…If I did a forty-yard dash and a vertical jump (two good tests of performance) and then performed the two tests again with a 25-pound weighted vest, would I get worse the second
time? Of course.

But how would you explain that? I explain that the athlete just got heavier, but didn't get stronger to accommodate the new weight. Because of this decrease in strength to bodyweight, their performance suffered and their chance for injury increased.

Most athletes are too weak for their bodyweight. And they commonly weigh too much. This is a double strike against them."
Read the rest of the interview here:

=> Martin Rooney Interview

Okay, now for today's workout...which I did outside at 10:30am in 70 degree weather with no shirt on. Can't remember an Easter this warm. While I trained, the dog went swimming in the river beside my parent's house. Now he's begging for lunch...Ok, so back to the workout:

1) The 3-Minute Pushup Test = 114 reps.

- 2 minute rest

2) Then I did the same 3-minute test for bodyweight squats = 121 reps (I expected more...)

- 2 minute rest

3) Then I did the 3 minute test for pullups = 30 reps (I could have done more here with better timing)

4A) Elevated Pushups (2x20 per side)
4B) KB Row (2x15 per side)
4C) Plank (2 sets of max time)

That was it.

Going to do a kettlebell workout tomorrow.

Today's workout has given me some good ideas,

Craig Ballantyne, CSCS, MS
Author, TT Gauntlet Workout

PS - The TT Gauntlet videos...

...have been added to the TT Fanpage Video Section here:

=> TT Gauntlet Workout Videos

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Hobart Personal Trainer - James Kerrison said...

Have I missed something here?

How do you do 2x20 each side on elevated pushups?

The each side bit has me...

James

xsight said...

He maybe referring to staggered pushups where one hand is in front of the other...

lolo341 said...

elevated pushups - you've got one hand elevated (on a sidewalk curb, yoga block, medicine ball, etc.) and the other hand on the ground. when you actually do the pushup motion, you'll get a shallow range of motion for the "elevated" arm but a deeper range of motion across the plane of your chest towards that hand on the ground.