Monday, January 19, 2009

Upper Body Pump Workout

My upper body workout today was pure meathead...the only thing that would have made it even more meathead was if it was all chest exercises.

Instead, it was a complete upper body workout, with lots of rowing to strengthen the back of the body and to counter the pressing exercises.

The gym was busy, still full of New Year's folks I guess, although I didn't expect a New Year's crowd at 1pm. Can't imagine what it would be like at 6pm!

I started my session with cable external rotations for a warm-up along with pushups. Then into the real thing - and this workout lasted only 45 minutes total...I was moving quick...

1A) Barbell Incline Press - 3x5
1B) Narrow Grip Seated Row - 4x8

2A) DB Flat Chest Press - 4x10
2B) Wide-Grip BB Row - 4x10

3A) DB Triceps Extension - 4x10
3B) BB Curl - 4x10

4) BB Shrug - 2x15 (threw that in for fun)

That was the first workout of my new 4 week program, and so I held back on the intensity and sped up the workout as a result. Always take it easy the first time you try any new program or exercise.

Squats on Wednesday,

Craig Ballantyne, CSCS, MS

PS - If you want a complete muscle building program...

...I highly recommend Jay Ferruggia's program.

Click here for more info on Jay's program

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why so many sets- just curious