Saturday, June 16, 2007

Lifting Tempo Q'n'A for Strength Training

Here's a great q'n'a from www.TTmembers.com I thought was really important
to share with everyone...

Q: I have noticed that a number of well-respected trainers recommend a
slower tempo along the lines of 2-1-3 or 2-1-4, whereas you recommend a more
explosive tempo, 2-0-1.

What is the difference? What will each tempo achieve more than the other? If
my goals are to gain strength and endurance, as well as losing fat, but NOT
hypertrophy (I'm too big anyway), which would be better and why?

Thanks for your guidance.

Answer
:
I actually think 2-0-1 is slow.

I really only recommend it for safety concerns. I don't want people going
too fast on the lowering phase, as that is likely a recipe for injury.

Taking more than 1 second to lift the weight (on purpose, not because you
are near failure) is without merit for 90% of people exercising (10% its
worthwhile for are beginners and rehab).

thanks!

craig


Q#2: Thanks for the response. I don't really understand why that is, as I find the faster tempo much easier and less effort than the slower tempo. Is there some physiological reason (i.e., stressing the muscle, etc.) behind the tempo?

Thanks again. I really appreciate the quality of the workouts and the support you provide.

Answer
:
You will benefit from momentum in faster tempos.

Picture this.

A) Do a regular vertical jump, allowing yourself to dip down and then jump up.

B) Do the vertical jump, but this time, start in a quarter squat position, but hold that position for 4 seconds before you jump.

You will find B much harder because you don't benefit from "the stored elastic energy" of the dip.

So...all that gobbledygook means that less muscular force is required to lift a given load when we allow for a fast "eccentric" (lowering/negative) phase of the movement.

That said, research from Dr. Phillip's research group (I've interviewed Dr. Phillips for this site - check the fat loss interviews section) has shown that the fastest eccentric movement results in the most muscle growth.

However, it also results in the most soreness, and losses of strength.

All very complex.

And finally, the greater the speed of movement, the greater the risk of injury...

So all that said, I find a 2-0-1 tempo is safe, effective, and easy to follow. Not too long and boring, but not too short and fast that you risk anything.

Thanks for the great question, I hope I have in some way been able to explain it...

craig
Best Fat Loss Q'n'A Message Board

No comments: