Thursday, November 16, 2006

Canned Tuna & Band Exercises

More Q'n'A today...

Q: Is it okay to eat canned tuna?

Answer:
I went to Dr. Chris Mohr, author of the Turbulence Training Fat Loss Nutrition Guidelines, for the answer...

He says...

"Canned light tuna is better than solid white albacore. Typical recommendations are to eat 12 oz/week of fish that are low in mercury. Mercury intake seems to be particularly important, or of concern, for women who are pregnant or may become pregnant (or capable of becoming pregnant), elderly, and children."

Dr. Mohr also provided me with a recent report that suggested moving skin and fat of fish before cooking (because the toxins are stored in the fat).

According to Dr. Charles Senterre from Purdue U, the report also suggested following these seafood intake guidelines:

Never eat these fish (due to high mercury content):
Shark & Swordfish (these fishies are higher up the food chain, and that's how mercury accumulates)

Eat once per month:
Tuna Steaks, Orange Roughy, Northern Lobster

Eat once per week:
Cod, crab, herring, other lobster

No Limit to consumption:
Oysters, Salmon, Shrimp, Light canned tuna packed in water


Q: How can I train my back when I'm on the road without any equipment? I dont' have a bar to do pullups or rows, but I do have a band.

Answer:
Its quite tough to do upper back exercises with bodyweight only.

With a band, you can pull the band apart (i show that exercise in the TT for Fat Loss manual).

Focus on bringing the shoulder blades together.

You could also do "stick-ups" or "Y's & T's".

Other than that, you'd need some dumbbells from the hotel gym to do DB rows.

Honestly, when traveling, I think the best thing to do is spend $10 on a day pass and get in one really good workout every other day at a local commercial gym.


Q: Wow, I just purchased the TT Membership. My question is, given that I've been training for years, where should I start? I like bodyweight and dumbbell exercises, so I'm having a hard time choosing.

Answer:
First, print off the "Original TT Workout" for weight workouts, and Phase 2 of the 6-month bodyweight manual. You can alternate those workouts each week. Your toughest fat loss options are

a) The TT Fusion Fat Loss workout

b) Hardcore TT Fat Loss workout


Q: How can I determine my one rep bench max?

Answer:
Most importantly, don't try and do a 1-rep max. For 99% of the population, this is dangerous.
I'm surprised we were even allowed to do that type of strength testing in University Research studies, but we did, and no one ever got hurt.

Here's a better, more practical way to find this out...This estimation formula works extremely well with the bench press. Choose a weight you can bench for 6-8 reps then enter it as the "sub-maximal weight".

1 RM calculation

Sub-maximal weight x .03 = SW1

SW1 x # of reps completed = SW2

SW2 + Sub-maximal weight = theoretical maximum (1 RM)

For example:

185 lbs. x 6 repetitions

185 x .03 = 5.55

5.55 x 6 = 33.3

33.3 + 185 = 218 lbs.

Therefore the predicted maximum bench press is 218 lbs.

I have generally found this to be quite accurate. Impressive actually, for the bench press at least.

This equation might not work so well for the squat, or other exercises. That's my experience.

Keep track of your training, that is one step to success,

CB

P.S. What's your favorite?

Here's some feedback from client's on their favorite TT manual...

"My very favorite program, however, is the 6-month bodyweight manual. Being a petite 41-year-old, it's pretty cool and empowering when clients call you 'freakishly strong' while demonstrating a chin-up or close-grip pull-up. The bodyweight exercises are deceptively hard and have gotten me the strongest I've been in my life. I can't thank you enough for all your great programs, exercise and health tips."
Lisa Grivers

"Craig, thanks for sharing your wealth of expertise. The constant new workouts, up to date research on fat loss and motivation through your newsletters and blog, is unmatched. For me, the dumbbell and bodyweight workouts are perfect for the small amount of exercise equipment I have at home, and I no longer regret not having a membership to a gym. Getting the best results I've ever had with the October montly workout. Thanks again!"
Tylor McEchren
Click HERE to get all of the Workouts in the TT Membership.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Craig
To train my back while traveling I use reverse push ups. Just hang from the desk that is usually in the room, you can also put your feet on the chair.

Craig Ballantyne, CTT, Certified Turbulence Trainer said...

Yes, very nice!