Tuesday, November 21, 2006

7-Minute Bodyweight Circuit



One thing we have to lose from our workout mindsets is the idea of the "minimum 1 hour workout". Even if you have a trainer, do you really need an hour with them?

Don't waste time. Choose better exercises and get your workout done faster, eliminating the "no time" workout excuse.

Eliminate irrelevant exercises. I know you want to train chest, and arms, and do one (or ten) exercises for abs, and one for this and that. But before you do, ask yourself, will these really get me to my goal, or have I just been convinced by bodybuilding magazines that I need 40 sets per workout to get results?

The secret of strength training is efficiency, particularly with bodyweight exercises. The trick is knowing which exercises are best. And because I've spent thousands of hours in the gym, in my workouts and with others, I have a pretty good idea which ones are best and which ones are a waste of time.

Now, taking those lessons, we can then create some pretty incredible bodyweight workouts as well. And these bodyweight workouts can get finished fast!

Let's try this circuit using exercises plucked from the 6-Month Bodyweight Manual...From start to finish, one time through this bodyweight circuit is about 7 minutes. It's relatively advanced, not for beginners...if you can't get all the reps, just do as many as you can.

Prisoner Squat (15 reps)
Close-grip Pushup (12 reps)
Bulgarian Split Squat (8 reps per side)
Mountain Climber (20 reps)
Side Plank (30 seconds per side)
Burpees (5)
Jumping Jacks (1 minute)

Tough, but effective. Do this circuit up to 3 times for a quick workout...great for a start to Thanksgiving Day.

Don't wait any longer to get started on your fat loss program. Heck, why not LOSE fat over the holidays rather than doing what everyone else does (ie. gain 5 pounds).

Dare to be different,
CB

P.S. Get more bodyweight exercises...In the TT Membership section.

Here's what one of my private client's has said about my bodyweight workouts:

"I did my first bodyweight workout this morning, the one that you included in my custom 6 week fat loss workout. It is safe to say that it might have been the most challenging workout I have ever done. I can honestly not recall ever being so exhausted and spent after a workout before, there were puddles of sweat everywhere(not a pretty sight for anyone but me). I am really glad you included it in our program, you did a great job designing it."
Bobby Logan

No comments: