Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Q'n'A: Protein & Morning Fat Loss Workouts

Protein & Fat Loss Workouts

Thank you for your great fat loss workout questions this week. Let's take a look at the truth about protein & eating before fat loss workouts.

Q: I'm using your TT for Muscle and I was wondering if I should start taking whey protein to gain muscle. I really don't eat a lot.

Answer:
That's the wrong reason to be taking whey protein. What you need to do is put the same amount of effort into your nutrition as you do your training.

Whey protein is not magical. It doesn't really add that many calories to your daily intake - which is what you need to do to gain muscle.

It's simply protein. And will have the same benefits on muscle growth and fat loss as the protein you would get from chicken, fish, beef, or beans & rice.

No matter your goal, fat loss or muscle gain, nutrition is hard work.

Time for you to get serious.


Q: What type of protein powder do you recommend?

Answer:
If you really can't get enough protein from whole-foods, then you will benefit from a protein supplement.

That is the only reason anyone would need a protein supplement.

Among the commercial varieties, again, there is nothing magical. As long as it tastes appealing, meets your desired nutrient profile, and mixes easily, you are fine.

Protein is protein is protein.

I am curious to hear about the supplement habits of the TT readers. Feel free to send in your supplement intake, including commercial brands. It's important for me to keep a "finger on the pulse" of supplement use.


Q: I workout every morning at 5 am and for me is the perfect time. I will like to know if you recommend any energy supplement to boost my energy in the mornings. I used to take ___ but it damaged my stomach and my nervous system. So I wake up and usually I don't eat nothing until 6 am. I know I should eat something before working-out but then I'll not have enough time to workout with out rushing myself to finish. Then after 6 am, my routing begin with my kids, work and afternoon homework and cooking. Can you recommend something to help me keep going? I love to workout in the mornings and I don't want to get of the track because of lack of energy.

Answer:
What you are looking for is not really an increase in energy, but simply an increase in mental alertness. I would continue to avoid "energy supplements", as you've found them to be quite a problem in the past. I don't recommend them for anyone.

On the other hand, a cup of Green Tea, and perhaps even decaf Green Tea, might help you. Normal Green Tea contains a little bit of caffeine (not as much as a coffee). There might be additional compounds in the Green Tea that also contribute to mental alertness - which is why decaf Green Tea still might help.

As for the remainder of the day, I recommend following Dr. Chris Mohr's nutrition principles. He discusses pre-workout eating - just remember, you don't need to eat a full meal before you train...you just need a little bit of food or a shake to keep your blood sugar up (see the next Q for problems if you don't).

If you eat using the TT guidelines, you will have as much energy as humanly possible considering you probably only get 6 hours of sleep per day.

No food or drink will cure sleep deprivation.

Click HERE to get started on the TT nutrition and exercise lifestyle

And by the way, does everyone realize how much of an oxymoron "diet energy drink" is?


Q: I've been told that it is essential for fat loss that I workout on an empty stomach in the morning. But you say that is not true. What is the truth?

Answer:
It is absolutely NOT essential. To lose fat, you don't have to wake up and do cardio. You just have to follow your meal plan, exercise at any time of the day using the right type of training, and you'll lose fat.

Otherwise none of my clients would ever have lost fat.

Being as we're all adults here, I'll leave the final decision up to you. If you want to train in the AM on an empty stomach, go ahead. In fact, if anyone does this, let me know how it goes.

I'll tell you a little story though which is enough to convince me that many women shouldn't try this...

Way back in the late 90's, while I was in University, something would happen in the gym on a weekly basis. A female student would come in for an early morning workout, and she'd do some cardio, and be going about her business when all of the sudden a crowd would gather around where she was exercising.

Why? Was she doing tricks?

No...it's because each week a girl would come in without having eaten in the morning and she'd faint in the gym.

Once I saw a girl nearly pass out inches away from the sharp edge of a staircase.

All in the name of "fasted cardio".

So if you insist on doing this, be careful.

Bottom line: It's not necessary.


Q: If i was to follow the fat Loss TT workouts would they still allow me to grow muscle and lose fat?

Answer:
Yes, absolutely. Just follow the training program as is, and start your nutrition program by eating according to Dr. Mohr's principles (from the TT Nutrition bonus), but don't eat fewer calories than you need. Eat to maintain your weight and you'll lose fat and gain muscle.


Q: My knees hurt when I squat. What can I do to reduce the pain?

Answer:
First of all, you should squat with the purpose of keeping your heels on the ground. That way, you don't put as much stress on your knees as you would if you squat and your heels come off the ground.

The key: Start all squats by pushing your hips back so the weight is over your heels. This may feel awkward at first and you might feel like you are going to lose your balance, but you will quickly adjust and then it will feel natural. By doing this, we train the glutes and hamstrings harder, and get more value from an already great exercise. Plus, this takes stress off from the knees.

More questions?

Bring 'em on,

CB

P.S. I'm running out of time...
Each day, I try and answer your questions as quickly as possible. But...

I'm running out of time between answering Q's and all the other program design, writing, and training that must go on - not too mention some recovery time.

So, I can only promise an answer to your question if you are a TT Member. A small benefit to go along with the incredible, ever-growing list of manuals, workouts, and monthly reports that you get in the members' section.

Click HERE to become a TT Member.


fat loss, protein, fat loss workout

No comments: